Welcome to Abingdon Fire Company. We hope that you will find your tenure with us rewarding and meaningful. As with all professional organizations, the education and training of new members is essential to the safe and efficient operation of the organization.
NECESSARY KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to work with other volunteers, agencies and the public.
- Ability to perform strenuous physical activity in excess of 150 lbs. of force or greater
- Ability to act effectively in emergency and stressful situations.
LEADERSHIP SKILLS: None required
- Must be at least 16 years of age
- No felony convictions or disqualifying criminal histories
- Must be able to communicate effectively orally and in writing
- Must be able to pass a fire department physical which meets NFPA 1582 guidelines, provided by a physician assigned by Abingdon Fire Company
- Must provide official government identification
- Must be a valid citizen of the United States
- Must provide any documentation requested by Human Resources for an entry level position as a probationary member
- Must pass a physical exam paid for by Abingdon Fire Company
- Pay a one time application fee of $25.00
- Attend monthly meetings, details, training and other requirements according to Abingdon Fire Company By-Laws and Standard Operating Guidelines
- Must obtain Firefighter I or Emergency Medical Technician certification within your first year of probationary membership
- Must perform a minimum of 12 in-station Duty Hours per month
- Abingdon Fire Company does not discriminate against race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty or status as a covered veteran
- Abingdon Fire Company does not tolerate to any extent a hostile work environment
- The volunteer would occasionally work in hazardous conditions or exposures
- The volunteer would work in adverse weather conditions while performing the duties of a Firefighter/EMT
- The volunteer may be exposed to unpleasant sights, sounds, smells and circumstances